Darren Cram is a Materials and Testing Engineer with 5 years’ experience undertaking forensic materials failure analysis investigations and materials testing for non-legal and legal jobs, including components made of metal, polymer, ceramic and composite materials.
Dr Darren Cram
PhD, Materials Engineering, Monash University, MIEAust
Materials and Testing Engineer
phone 03 9574 6144
mobile 0434 674 626
- Conducting and provision of expert reports for materials failure analysis investigations:
- Determination of component compliance with specification and fitness for purpose.
- Performing materials testing including chemical composition, mechanical strength and ductility, microstructural, coating thickness and coverage, thermal properties and visual / high magnification inspection of components.
- Operation of Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) for high magnification imaging and chemical analysis by Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS), hardness and universal testing machines, Optical Emission Spectrometer (OES) and Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectrometer for chemical analysis metals and polymers and Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC) for thermal analysis of polymers.
- Foreign material identification within food manufacturing facilities and products.
- Cracking of steel and aluminium welds within pipe and tank structures.
- Environmental stress cracking of plastic fixtures exposed to cleaning product.
- Investigations into coating delamination failures.
- Evaluation of 3D printed material defects and microstructures.
- Failure analysis including hydrogen embrittlement of steel bolts, carpet staining, high temperature fracture of transmission line copper conductors, fatigue of bearing components and corrosion of structural anchor bars.
- Materials testing of corrosion resistance of stainless steel panels, case depth of gear teeth and mechanical strength of fire affected steel beams.
- Acoustic emission testing of Elevated Work Platforms
- Staff Bio (pdf)